STEM PD Program
A whole of QMEA Science Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) PD program has been developed in response to identified needs of schools, to reflect implementation of the Australian Curriculum in Queensland Schools from 2012, and to showcase innovative and emerging technologies in industry.
The overall aims of the project are to:
- Improve knowledge, pedagogy and engagement levels in STEM areas, as these subjects are closely aligned to the future workforce requirements for the industry.
- Ensure greater collaboration between QMEA schools and across QMEA regions.
- To improve teacher understanding of new and emerging technologies within the resources sector by providing opportunities for teachers to engage with industry representatives.
Individual program workshops have been developed for each of the STEM disciplines. Details of the projects can be found by following the links below.
- Science – Programs include Inquiry-Based Learning, Earth Science Upskilling and opportunities for Laboratory Technicians and Science Operations Officers. Attendance at state and national Science conferences will also be offered to QMEA teachers.
- Technology – Programs exist for teachers to learn more about Spatial Technology, QMEA’s established Robotics program and Arduino Programming.
- Engineering – Engineering Technology PDs in Materials Processing, Systems Analysis and Arduino Programming will be offered as part of the STEM program for QMEA teachers.
- Mathematics – A dedicated program of PD designed to upskill teachers to confidently implement the Australian Curriculum to Year 10, and engage students in senior mathematics programs will be offered.